Monday, September 1, 2008

GIVING GOD THE BEST

Watching the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing was an event of impending excitement and hopeful enthusiasm for the athletes. For Christian athletes it was a lifetime opportunity not only to compete, but making an impact as believers of the gospel of Jesus Christ amongst the Chinese people. I recently read in a Christian magazine about athletes like: Allyson Felix, Ryan Hall, Michael Redd and Jennifer Barringer attribute their motivation of success to their faith. Felix gives glory to God for her achievement on the track. Hall, age 25, committed his heart to Jesus as teenager. He struggled with the search for significance, but found his identity in Christ.

It is wonderful to see how God has a place in the lives of these athletes not only as achievers of the gifts they have, but as witnesses for God’s glory. A comment made by Olympian Barringer who quotes 1 Timothy 4:12 – her favorite verse-to heart: “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.”(NIV)

Many young Christians need to believe that they can do something that’s impossible. Like the athletes you need to do everything you physically can do to break the mental barriers of “can’t do”. Having God’s word in my mind has always helped me in hard challenges, but one of my favorite bible verses is “I can do all things through Christ who is my strength,” (Phi.4: 13) giving God my best of what he’s given me and all for his glory.

No comments: